Today we are making an apple with a paper plate, but not just any apple…we are exploring the inside of an apple with this apple core craft for kids. While it is easy enough to do with toddlers and preschoolers, kids of all ages can make this easy paper plate craft their own at home or in the classroom.
Easy Apple Core Paper Plate Craft for Kids
This apple paper plate craft creates a super cute painted apple while also teaching young children about the parts of an apple.
Related: More apple crafts for kids
This article contains affiliate links.
Supplies Needed To Make THis Super Apple Craft For Preschoolers
Directions for Parts of the Apple Paper Plate Craft
Step 1 – Create the Apple Peel
- We started by cutting the center out of a paper plate and
- painting it red with a sponge.
This section of outside of the apple is called the skin or the peel. At our house we eat the peel or skin of an apple. Some children don’t like to eat the skin. The texture just doesn’t feel right to them. My son was told that that is where a lot of the good nutrients and vitamins are found. Thankfully his has embraced eating all the healthy parts of the apple!
Step 2 – Create the Apple Core
- Then we cut an apple core shape out of a second paper plate.
- We mixed a little white and brown paint to create the flesh colored section of the apple on a tray. We didn’t have bottle of peach paint available if you do you it might create a color closer to the color an apple is in real life. Our apple flesh has obliviously be exposed to the air for a bit to get its brown tint.
- Then my son used a set of plastic chopsticks to dip a seed shaped sponge into black paint. The sponge was then stamped onto the apple core to create seeds.
The core is what we reach after eating all the flesh or meat of the apple. It is the sweet part of the apple.
If you don’t have chopsticks available, you can use a clothes pin to hold the sponge. Chopsticks gave my son a little more control of the pressure being put on the sponge.
Step 3 – Assemble the Finished Apple Craft
Once all the apple sections had dried, we glued the apple core section to the apple skin section of the plate.
- 2 paper plates
- acrylic paint or watercolor paint
- glue stick
- We started by cutting the center out of a paper plate.
- Paint it red with a sponge.
- Then we cut an apple core out of the second paper plate.
- We mixed a little white and brown plaint and then painted the core.
- The add seed shaped sponge into black paint and stamp the apple core.
- Once all the apple sections are dried, glue the apple core section to the apple skin section of the paper plate.
More Apple Crafts & Learning from Kids Activities Blog
How did your parts of the apple craft turn out using a paper plate?