The Athletic’s team of NFL experts and insiders run through all the latest news, storylines and more.
Katelyn Mulcahy / Getty Images
NFL Week 9: Schedule, odds, predictions and standings
Updated 2024 NFL Draft order
How did Week 8 of the NFL schedule shake up the possible 2024 NFL Draft order?
To get an update on where things stand, we turn to Austin Mock’s projections. Mock projects the score for every game and the final winning percentage for every team using his NFL betting model. The model phases out older data and uses data from this year as the season progresses. The simulation then runs 100,000 times after each day of games to give us, in this case, our projected top-10 draft order, plus each team’s projected win total and playoff chances.
Find the full projected draft order here.
NFL Draft order 2024 projections: Giants, Patriots enter the mix for No. 1
Raiders fire head coach Josh McDaniels, GM Dave Ziegler
The Las Vegas Raiders fired coach Josh McDaniels and general manager Dave Ziegler late Tuesday night, the team announced. Here’s what you need to know:
- Linebackers coach Antonio Pierce will resume the role of interim head coach, per a team source.
- The Raiders are 3-5 this season and 9-16 since McDaniels took over in 2022.
- Las Vegas has failed to score more than 19 points on offense in a game this season.
- McDaniels was given a six-year contract by the Raiders in 2022. Las Vegas is obligated to pay the four-plus years remaining on the deal.
- The Raiders also announced they are promoting assistant general manager Champ Kelly to interim general manager. The team said it is “committed to undergo a comprehensive search for a general manager once the season is complete.”
Read more here.
Raiders fire Josh McDaniels, GM Dave Ziegler: Why Las Vegas made the decision now
Why the Commanders traded both Montez Sweat and Chase Young
They really did it.
It felt inevitable that the Washington Commanders would trade one of their defensive ends, Montez Sweat or Chase Young, in the hours leading up to Tuesday’s NFL trade deadline. Whatever arguments for extending both of the 2024 free agents faded during what’s become an increasingly frustrating season. The team’s 3-5 record isn’t a death knell for playoff hopes. But the pockmarked road to that record is why plans trumped any notion of a full-throated turnaround.
But would they trade both? That seemed too far, for two young players at a premium position. On some level, it was.
Read more here.
Commanders wanted to keep Montez Sweat over Chase Young. Here’s why they traded both